Audio suddenly does not function on the system, despite the Realtek audio driver being correctly installed. In Device Manager, a red X may be on the Sound Mixer, and Device Manager does not show Realtek Audio or Intel Display Audio devices under Sound, video and game controllers. Re-installing the Realtek audio driver does not restore sound function to the system. This may occur after Windows Update runs.
System Is Configured With
Windows 10 with a correctly installed Realtek Audio driver
This issue is caused by an incorrect audio driver installed on the system and can be resolved using the following procedure:
- Open Device Manager by right-clicking the Start button (Windows icon) and selecting Device Manager.
- There may be an error with a yellow triangle on the Intel High Definition DSP device under Other devices as shown in the following image.
- Expand the System devices list.
- Right-click the Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller and select Update driver as shown in the following image.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software as shown in the following image.
- Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer as shown in the following image.
- Select High Definition Audio Controller as shown in the following image, and then select the Next button.
- Reboot the system when the driver is installed. This should resolve the issue.